(Vegan) Recipes of the Week*

Vegan Butternut squash soup

I love butternut squash soup! It's warm and delightful. A modern comfort food.  Here's my vegan version of this favorite... Made with acorn squash! ;)

1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 veggie broth 
1 to 2 inches of ginger, GRATED (Not chopped or processed through a food processor)
One onion, chopped 
One acorn squash, peeled and cut in large chunks.
1 1/2 teaspoons of crushed garlic
(You could add half a jalepeno if you wanted)

Put all of these in a pot and simmer them for about 25-45 minutes, until the squash is super soft and falling apart. Add a pinch of red pepper flecks, and two dashes of paprika. 


Blend these with a hand blender. It will be delicious but slightly missing something. 

The non-vegan me would grab the half & half, and "glug, glug, glug," pour in some of my favorite easy fix for any soup. 

Dont worry though: The vegan part of me knows what to do! Grab about ten cashews out of my cashews that have been soaking in water overnight. Blend them together with a few spoonfuls of the soup till they make a thick cream. Then incorporate the cream into the soup. 


Ahhhh. Perfect!


I also though I would include my carrot cake muffins with icing. 

1 1/2 cups floor
1 cup brown sugar or organic sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon 
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ginger powder
(Mix all dry ingredients)

In a different bowl, mix together the following:
1 cup water
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 carrot (grated) 
1/3 cup coconut oil, warmed (can be mixed or substituted with coconut milk)
Approx. 1/2 cup raisens
Approx. 1/2 cup crushed (or finely chopped) pineapple
1/4 cup flax meal

Mix wet and dry ingredients together, and snitch a little bit!  Then pour dough into greased muffin cups.

Cook at 375 degrees for about 17 minutes.

While cooking these, take out your " soaked in water overnight" cashews. 


Put about 1/3 cup of these into your hand blender or food processor.  Add 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and blend till smooth.  Mix this together with 2-3 cups of powdered sugar, depending on if you want runny icing or a bit thicker frosting.


Frost warm, or wait till they cool. 


The frosting isn't my favorite frosting of all times.  But it's pretty good. I got no complaints from anyone in my house of *slightly picky eaters*, so I think it passed the test.  And, ok, I'll admit: I can't stop eating it. 





See below for my blog on WHY I am doing a month long Vegan Experiment.
Have a great week!


*Both recipes are my own fairly original recipes.



Labels: , , , ,