Soup Week

So, as I may have hinted, I am really wanting to start cooking and baking more!  It saves money, and it makes being home seem fun!  Plus, the more yummy food you have at home, the more likely you are to 1. Stay home instead of being allured into the restaurant world, and 2. To entertain, have people over, and practice recipes on your friends.  I love the idea of cooking for sick people, preggo people, and really, anyone who needs some encouragement, or "mom-ing."

One of the things on my list has been to start making my own soups.  Josh has never been a soup guy, which was something I really couldn't understand.  But our dear friend "Sunshine" Castillo made some amazing chicken soup a few years ago and Josh told me I should get the recipe.  Through this, I began to realize that he didn't dislike soup, he just didn't know how good it could be.

Fast forward to the present.  I have had making potato soup and making tomato soup on my mental list of becoming more domestic.  This week I tackled both.  I made potato soup for a sick friend, then yesterday, I made tomato soup for me.  Josh tried it and ended up declaring it to be the best tomato soup he had ever had.  I jumped for joy.

My friend asked for my recipe, and that is when I realized that although i had used two recipes, I can really be a person who uses what I have and who make things without strict guidelines. I switch things up a bit.  Here is my potato soup recipe:

Boil about 5-6 red potatoes, (medium sized) cubed, in about 2-3 cups of water.
Saute 2 green onions and a 1/4 of a purple onion in butter. Add lots of pepper, then add about one cup milk and a handful of flour. Mixed it all up!

Take the spoon and smash quite a few of the potato chunks so that the potato bit is quite thick and not too chunky. Add the milk/butter/onion mixture, 1/2 cup of half and half, and 2 glasses of water, then boil it till it looks like you want it too. Grate about 1.5-2 oz of parmesan cheese and WHALA! There ya have it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,